Tuesday, January 29, 2019

FRENCH CLUB: WHY LEARN A FOREIGN LANGUAGE?


Hello everyone, let's talk about language. What languages do you speak, and what languages would you like to learn? Please read to the end, and share what you think.


The importance of communication cannot be overemphasised. In spite of our expertise in communication, misunderstandings are a daily occurrence. The belief that a human being can expect all of the world's population to understand his mother tongue could be termed arrogance. Therefore, to be a global tourist, whether on a business trip, or simple leisure, the willingness to learn new languages and experience new cultures is necessary. Experiencing new cultures would require adaptability, especially in communicating in various dialects. Inadequate language skills in a strange environment could be an impairment, as it could pose a difficulty to making new friends and would therefore make it almost impossible to adapt.

As the world morphs more and more into a global village, the need for communication in multiple languages becomes very crucial. Therefore, at CEDEC International Schools, we aim to ensure our students are bilingual or multilingual. With our use of the Nigerian and British curriculum, we offer the opportunity to learn a foreign language from an early age.



 Evidence suggests that the bilingual experience improves the brain’s executive function — this function controls the attention processes that we use for planning, solving problems and performing various other mentally demanding tasks. 


The advantage of being multilingual, travels across various fields. For instance a multilingual doctor would be more successful in diagnosing a patient who only speaks in his/her native language. Also, a multilingual journalist on the field would be more likely to get sources for his/her story in a foreign country. Finally, any employer of labour would tell you that being bilingual or multilingual gives an added advantage in the hiring process. These are some of the reasons why, in CEDEC International Schools, we aim to ensure a warm and comfortable environment that supports language learning. 


Do you speak more than one language? If you do, please feel free to share what languages you speak in the comments box below. For those who do not, please share what language(s) you would like to learn.

Author: Mrs Jennifer Uwabor (French Club Coordinator, French Language Educator - Lekki Campus)

10 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I would really like to learn to speak French.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was an interesting read. I am bilingual (English and Igbo). I want to learn French. Can anything be arranged for me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! I also wish to learn how to speak French.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am an average bilinguist(more of English language than my native Ibibio). Learning and speaking a world language like French would be great as a language tutor. I look forward to having a chance

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adegoroye OluwatosinJanuary 29, 2019 at 4:20 AM

    Very interesting,I would like to learn French and German. Can French club coordinator teach me how to speak French?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julian
    Beautiful article. I am a polyglot,I speak English, Ibibio,Yoruba,a bit of French and Latin, but would like to sharpen my foreign language vocabulary than more than that. Madam what are your plans for us? Our languages are our identity, let's keep them our alive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. An interesting read! I am bilingual(English and Urhobo) but French is one language I would love to learn to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  8. An interesting read! I am bilingual(English and Urhobo) but French is one language I would love to learn to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I speak English and Yoruba. It would be a great pleasure to understand French.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very creative and inspiring post @Mrs Uwabor Jennifer.... I indeed have always a lover of multilingualism and I currently can speak English, yoruba, and Edo.. But I still would like to learn to speak Spanish, Russian and French thank you....

    ReplyDelete